Friday, August 27, 2010

I'm struggling

I'm really struggling to stay focused, motivated and disciplined. After a slow summer at the office things are finally picking up - this is a good thing, I was starting to get worried.



However, it begs the question - am I so one dimensional that I can only focus on one thing at a time? As I concentrate on staying focused and motivated at work, my workout motivation and discipline as far as my diet goes is waning.



I missed Wednesday's workout and did not blink an eye. I did get in the pool yesterday and did the workout, plus the bike workout. Plan to do two workouts today to get all the workouts in, but the me of two months ago would not have missed the workout - I would have found some way to get it in.


The diet thing - it's o.k. to be off for a little while, but I'm talking about a month now - yeah, I have some good days, but they seem to be outnumbered by the bad days lately.


Some would say that this all relates to accomplishing my major goal of the year and staying focused for so long to get there. I reject that - it is just plain 'ol weakness and I need to find the mental prowess to get back to where I need to be.


My workouts, when done, are going well. Some are even PRs. I still have a major goal around the corner - The Hartford Marathon. I would like to PR my marathon - actually don't even think that is a lofty goal considering how the past three have gone.

Do I sound like I'm whining? I feel like I am.

Yesterday's workouts went fine. Swim 1200 for time - 21:45. Not the greatest time and not surprised as I did not feel loose or powerful in the pool.

Second workout immediately following - Tabata bike 1 min on, 30 sec off, 20 times. What a leg burner this was. I did it on a spinning bike so I don't know the distance and that is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned - this was a hard, hard workout.

I was initially planning on doing three workouts to get back on schedule, but I was drained after the bike and thought it best to postpone one until today.

I'm hoping that writing my weaknesses down for all to see will be all the motivation that I need to get back on track.

2 comments:

  1. Alright first things first & don't forget this again you are the "HAMMER"!!! Stop the crying & show us the Hammer you have shown us on all your WOD's!!!! All kidding aside, it has only been a little over a month since we all stepped on the starting line @ IMLP. Some of us including myself have taken a little longer to get over the post IM blues. Trust me Martin, I know where your coming from on this feeling. The week following IMLP my wife had to put me back on the leash since I was still all pumped up from the race. If there was another IM in that week I probably would have gone out there & killed myself. After about a week or so, I came crashing down. In a way I was lucky & got a kick in the pants from my Master swim coach who is a no nonsense type of indivdual & told me to wake up & find a new focus that will inspire me again. He said the mental aspect training for an IM is huge & I needed to step back & take not just the physical break but the mental as well. He also told me I needed to do something different & another focus to bring back the fun & excitement of training. He also told me to go & have a BigMac & stop eating like a squirrel. It's OK to do this every once in a while. For me it was swimming & preparing for the Quassy Open swim in September. Although I do the other disciplines to a certain extent I have really put in the yards & focus on the swimming & have really enjoyed it. It also helped me training with other people & pushing each other. Maybe your focus will now be the Hartford Marathon. Be a full time runner & enjoy being a single sport athlete for a while. I am proud of you Martin, look @ what you accomplished this year-"Your an Ironman"!!!, 1/2 IM's, marathon etc. etc. Your living the lifestyle you love. You feel like this now, but you are passionate about "sport" & all the excitement it begins out in you. You are the HAMMER!!! Now go out there & show us your passion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think David summed it up well. You were like a pilot without a plane. Focus on Hartford. I'll be there cheering you on (Nancy will be there too). I like the PR goal. I have full confidence in you.

    ReplyDelete