Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Mental head game

Tapering is more of a mental exercise than a physical one. It is a good thing Max sent out the email regarding tapering as I can easily see myself second guessing whether I did enough in a workout or not. For example, yesterday I did 5 sets of 3 squats at 130 pounds. I wanted to either do more weight or more reps. I am so conditioned to going so hard that I can barely get the last rep up - this just felt weird. I warmed up and down with a 500m row. Once again, I just wanted to pull hard - but I didn't.

Today was Helen at 70%. Running at 70% was easy and I took the weight on the swings down to 25# but I'm not sure how to do pullups at 70%. I decided that the mental focus of going all out would just need to be dropped. The pullups actually felt easier since I was not going all out on the run or swings. Finished in - well I forgot to turn the stopwatch off. Time was not the focus anyway. Right?

Who of the Rev3 crowd would like to get together for dinner Saturday evening. So far it's me, Dan, Nancy and Dave.

1 comment:

  1. I am sure it is super hard to pull back when your so used to going hard. I guess in theory you could use a band to take some weight off if you really wanted to for the pullups. That was your are pulling less body weight. Or you could do jumping pullups but I doubt you need to.

    ReplyDelete