Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Worse run ever

Don't worry, this is not a pity fest. Ran 13.1 miles today. I had planned to hammer the first half and just see if I could hang on for the second half. It became evident very early on that the strategy was simply not going to work. It was very hot out and this old body is not used to the heat yet. This run was more of a mental test than a physical one. I wanted to quit so many times during this run, but every time that thought went through my head I kicked myself in the ass and just kept going. The realization hit me that I was probably feeling pretty good compared to how I was going to feel during the run at IMLP.

If it could go wrong it probably did on this run. I ran with my running belt and I had 32 ounces of water and five gels. I lost two of the gels early on in the run so had to ration three. 32 ounces of water would have barely lasted me for a two hour run, but this turned out to be a two hour and twenty minute run so I ran out of water too.

I'm not sure if it was the heat or Sunday's race (or a combination of both) that kicked my ass, but man! this was a hard one.

On a brighter note, my crossfit workout was 10! of squats, burpees and situps. I completed that workout in 7:07 vs. 8:20 a month ago.

4 comments:

  1. nice job plowin' through it...i feel your pain on that run! great job on the 10! tomorrow's a brand new day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great job Martin! your mental toughness is going to serve you well at LP :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martin,

    Just think how mentally strong you are. I still remember the 5K on the treadmill. You are an animal! You gave it your best, that's what counts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you got through it! and it was hot so you don't have to be happy about it but you did it!

    ReplyDelete