Sunday, January 3, 2010

I did not feel into it

I woke up feeling lethargic this morning, plus something I ate last night was not settling in my stomache well (hot wings). I did not go to town on the wings as I'm trying to get the diet back to where it needs to be, but I went with the extra hot.

I also think I was a little dehydrated waking up - I sweated buckets during the TT workout yesterday and I feel I'm only now starting to feel properly hydrated (more than 24 hours later). I drank 32 ounces of fluids during the 40k TT and plenty after, but I think it takes a while to absorb the liquids.

I went down to the cave to do my first workout which was 10, 20 and then 30 rounds of box jumps, knee pushups, burpees and pullups. Who knew knee push ups could be so hard. Like I said, I did not feel into it - so what did I do - I pushed it. Days like today are a mental game - it would have been just as easy to talk myself out of the workout as into it, probably easier. I know I need to keep my eye on the prize so I forced the issue. The workout took me 27:25 to complete. The holdup was the pullups. On the first set I did eight then two - no real hold up here. The second and third set was broken into fives. The last two sets of the third round was four and one then three and two. I finished!!!!! I remember a time when I would have allowed myself to shortcut the workout and say it was good enough - not any more!

The family and I then went to meet a friend for lunch and I stayed in the zone - not hard to do with a brunch menu. I was going to clear the snow from my driveway and then head out to LAF for my second workout. It didn't quite work that was because as we were heading home my wife got a call from a friend of hers that she had not seen in a couple of months inviting her to the movies. I didn't want her to miss it as she really wanted to see the movie and she had been talking about missing this particular friend for a few weeks. I think it would have been pretty selfish of me to hold her back. So.....what did I do? Skip? NO WAY!!! I had just enough time to get to LAF, get the workout in, and get home for her to leave for the movies. The snow just had to wait.

The not feeling into it went for the swim workout as much as the other workout, but I had it to do. The workout was four 400s with one minute rest. I completed the workout in 33:10 which includes three minutes of rest time. I finished the first 400 in 7:17. I think the average per 400 was about 7:33 so I definately lost power over time. On top of not wanting to be in the pool I was having issues with my goggles - The goggles have been good to me until recently. I swam the first 400 with water in the right side. It would have been so easy to stop, but something just would not let me (perhaps Max's voice in my head). I got my goggles adjusted after the first 400 and still started the second 400 on time. The goggles still leaked a little, but much slower than the first 400. A little tweak after number two and they did not leak anymore. I warmed up with 6 laps and down with 4 for an overall yardage count of 1850 (is this enough or should I include more warm up and warm down?)

All things considering, this was a very successful day. The lethargic feeling was strictly environmental and not due to any illness on my part. I am going to continue to be strict with my diet and fluid intake and expect that my energy level will come back up.

On the plus side - my back is no more sore than it was yesterday and I squatted heavy. I was very careful about my form. As a matter of fact, I think I could have done 5 reps of the 170, but I would definately have broken form. I felt the back more swimming today than doing the squats yesterday. Deadlifts don't hit my plan again until Jan 9th and they are not super heavy so I will definately be trying them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment