Saturday, January 30, 2010

Double Ouch!

First workout 1 hour bike TT. Covered 18.25 miles on trainer. Compared to 9.1 for last weeks 30 min TT I would say that I am making progress.

Second workout was fran. Did entire first set with the 95 pounds for the thrusters. three reps into the second set I stripped down to 75 pounds as I was all over the place - can't afford another injury. Total workout time was 14:50 compared to 15:37 back in October with entire workout done with 70 lb thrusters. The 14:50 includes the time it took me to strip the weight down to 75 (takes me a while since I have the screw on plate holders). I consider this a huge success. Fran is not on my plan again until 2/24. I'm going to try to do it with 80 lbs for the entire workout - based on today's result I should be able to do it.

In summary, I appear to be getting physically stronger and faster on the bike and the swim. I have yet to see more speed on the run. Upone reflection, I don't care if I don't get faster on the run as long as I can hold my pace over a long distance. True test is Hyannis 2/28.

Paleo for Athletes book arrived yesterday. I'm about 3/4 of the way through it. After One read I will go back through it and outline the key points. One of the key points that it brings up (more than once) is that it is probably a good idea to get some protein during long races. Carb to protein ratio should be about 4:1. I have been wondering about this for quite some time and am reconsidering my nutrition for Hyannis. I was planning to do Powerbar Gel as that is what is handed out at IMLP, but think I will try Accel as that has protein in it. As far as I'm concerned, Hyannis is a practice race, so practicing nutrition works in this case. Besides, I don't see many other opportunities to practice nutrition on my schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment