Sunday, December 20, 2009

The end of a good week

Friday was one of those days that almost gets away from you. After a long day of work I picked my daughter up at school and we went out for dinner at friendly's and then we did some Christmas shopping. We got home around 9:00 and I immediately did my workout which was Five Pullups, ten pushups and 15 squats AMRAP in twenty minutes. I started them off at about a set a minutes, but I really slowed down on the pullups by the fifth set and on the pushups by the seventh set. I tried to make up time on the squats but that just meant that I was more winded going into the pullups which did not help matters. Total number of rounds was 14.



Saturday was a double and although I thought about doing them back to back I decided to spread them out so that I could put my all into each workout. First workout was 75 pound thrusters 50 x for time. I had to break this up into sets - first was 20, then 12, then 11 and final round was 7. Total time was 8:45.

The second workout was 20 seconds work; 10 seconds rest 24 Xs on the bike. I warmed up for a good ten minutes before getting into the workout and really pushed the 20 seconds each set. Funny how after about the sixth one the twenty seconds feels long the the ten seconds feels really short. I did, however, get into a groove about half way through the workout.

I woke up this morning (Sunday) and took a look at my workout plan and its a rest day. I was fully prepared to do a workout this morning and its a stinking day off! That's fine as I have learned to embrace all parts of the training plan - workouts, nutrition, and rest. Willpower has been getting tested on the nutrition side as there is all sorts of crap available. Everywhere you look there is cookies and cake and all sorts of desserts. Not to mention the Hors Duvours at the parties. I won't say that I've been perfect, but I have been able to say no more than I have any holiday season in the past. Here's a good example: Yesterday we went to Burton's, a nice steakhouse at Evergreen in South Windsor. Rather than ordering the steak that I really wanted (and knew that I wouldn't be able to stop when I should), I ordered a chicken salad. No apps and no drinks (though I really wanted one, and others at the table were drinking). It helps to have a clearly defined goal about seven months in the future (a relatively short time from now). Although I would have liked to indulge yesterday I can be proud of myself today. The next few days will be tough, but it will be over soon.

Tomorrow's another double and I plan to do the first workout in the morning. I don't like lifting first thing in the morning, but I do o.k. after I get into it (takes me a good ten minutes to get going). I will do a good warm-up to make sure that I can push the workout the way its supposed to be pushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment