Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Relearning to run

I'll start with yesterday. I had a workout called Eva to do - five rounds of 800 meter runs followed up with 30 swings and 30 pullups. I got through all of the first set and most of the second set and decided that I was through. I really can't explain it, but I just felt that the workout needed to end. I was practicing running "correct" on the treadmill and it felt really funny. Almost like I was running on my tip toes - I think this is where being supple comes in. I did a couple of drills (bunny hops and wall drill) and called it a night.

Today called for a workout named Michael. More 800 meter runs with back extensions and sit ups. As important as these workouts are, I am focused on becoming a better runner. I decided that running hard is not going to work for improving my form in the short run. I decided to go for a decent run and focus on form. I focused on keeping my hips forward and having my foot land under me rather than in front of me. I focused on the hips and pulling rather than pushing for the entire run and at times during the run I focused on other aspects such as having supple ankles and head position. I did not clock the run until I was done - 6.2 miles in 53:08. That's not that bad considering going fast was the least of my concerns. There were times during the run that the running form felt good and other times that it felt awkward. A couple of times I felt my hips relax and I could tell instantly that my form was falling apart and quickly corrected.

It's going to take a little bit to get my brain and my body in synch on this one, but I am commited to conquering this.

I finished up with 150 sit-ups and called it a night.

P.s I can't wait to ride my bike again!

No comments:

Post a Comment