Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Slow as molasses

That's how I feel. Ran 5k for time this morning. Warmed up with an easy mile, stretched and off I went. I planned on taking it out fast and thought I had done just that, but I crossed the mile marker at 8:26 - was planning on 7:30 or so. I covered the next mile in 8:41 and did slightly better on mile three at 8:36. I'm happy with the relative consistency of the splits, but not the times themselves. Total run 26:32. I know I'm beat up, but I expected more out of myself this morning.

I know I am at the end of a hard period and should not beat myself up, but its in my nature.

I read the string of emails regarding the article not being published in the August edition. Pam said it best and I imagine there is a lot of truth in what she wrote. I for one feel better than I have in years both physically and mentally. Going into this I really did not think my swimming or biking were going to get much better, but was real hopeful on the running. Surprise, surprise - my swimming and biking both improved. My running has improved, but not by as much as I was hoping, but I learned a lot. I have to work on my fundamentals - next year will be different! I look in the mirror and don't recognize the guy looking back at me - he looks too young! It is quite literally like I have erased 10 years of wear and tear.

I think the most amazing part is the little amount of time it took to recover after Rev3 and Patriot - Patriot a little longer, but then again, these races were only two weeks apart!

I don't plan on doing a WOD at the end of IMLP, but I will do my best to make everyone proud.

4 comments:

  1. Martin, I wouldn't stress too much about the times now. You are crushed from the WOD's and the heat is brutal. You gave it everything and didn't quit, you should be happy with those two things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. im sure you will make everyone proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to read your LP race report Martin! It going to be great!

    ReplyDelete