Saturday, May 2, 2009

5/2/09 The pain is not over

Wednesday was a new type of workout for me. Run a 200, do 10 squats, 10 pushups and then immediately do your next set of the same thing. Five sets total. The good thing about this workout is it is over pretty quick. The bad thing is that it is extremely intense. Well anyway, I survived it and ran my 10k Thursday with no ill effects from Wedneday's workout. O.k. - My triceps were sore on Thursday, but Friday they were screaming! I did not have full motion of my arms friday and still don't today, though its improved. I will admit that I have been lazy about working my upper body and have mainly concentrated on running and biking, but I have done some upper body and have never felt this type of after workout pain. I have a theory that doing pushups after running all out for 200 meters and then doing air squats totally confuses your body. It does not know where to send the blood with the much needed oxygen therefore causing the muscles needed for pushups to work totally anerobically thereby producing more lactic acid than they would otherwise. My recollection is that Max referred to this workout as a total body assault and I now know what he was talking about. I think he chuckled when he discribed the workout. As much as I sound like I'm complaining, I know this workout and others scheduled are going to improve my overall conditioning and race results. Thanks Max!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment